Wednesday, April 15, 2009

::dusts off blog::

Hi! I think the best way to get this baby back on track is to just jump into it, right? Ok then...

The garage remodel is still rolling, although we did finally bid adieu to the contractor when he finished the drywall last week, so the rest of the process is in our hands at this point. We're going through several cans of primer and then painting this week, and hopefully, I'll have some "process complete" pictures up early next week that I can share. The biggest hurdle to get past for now is convincing my husband that using leftover blue paint from the bedroom on the ceiling in the garage is a good idea. He wants it to be white. ::insert "blah" face here:: We're using leftover paint in order to save some money, and also so it just doesn't go to waste. We have scads of paint left over from the Living Room 4 Gallon Miscalculation Debacle of 2006, so we're using that on the walls in the garage. And as far as I'm concerned, a blue ceiling sounds very pretty and fun, and that's the final design aim for the garage...for it to be pretty, anyway...so I think I should win this argument. Maybe I'll hate it, and he can gloat and mock me for the next 4 years. Wouldn't that be a win/win for everyone, really? No? I dunno...

One of the things we decided to do with this remodel is replace the door that leads into the kitchen from the garage. The old one was a stock, inside-use only kind of door that was neither fire proof nor very attractive. It would be putting it lightly to say that we hated it. So we had it measured for a replacement in the future by Home Depot a few months ago, and then we went in and purchased the new door along with all the other supplies for the garage project, so our contractor could hang it for us.


Unfortunately, I don't know if they measured wrong, or what happened, but this is what the door looked like when it was hung:
There was a looot of light and air that was able to get in through the spaces left by the mis-sized door. It was almost a full half-inch at the top!
And the side wasn't much better. I was pretty disappointed with that...
But the contractor was a talented guy. He did his magic, and managed to get the door to come together in the end. More pictures of that completion with the rest of them next week, I promise. In the mean time, know that we are exceedingly happy with our new door, the way it looks, and the way it closes and opens, and everything. Yay!

Not only are we at the point where we pick the paint colors, but we're also at the point where we can decorate the space. We needed nicer, newer shelves than the ones we already had. Considering most of the shelves we had in the space were all thrown away since they were old and falling apart, we don't have much of a choice but to buy more storage options, really. So we got something similar to this from Home Depot last night:
The one they had in stock was a chrome one for $109, but it's similar to that black one, except it has 6 tiers. I'd also like to pick up a set of drawers like this one...
We need a good place to organize all of our smaller tools, and a set of drawers like that would fit perfectly. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to spend the $109 on that right now, or not. I'm inclined toward the thinking that it will be charged to my credit card before the end of the day. Can't be sure, but it's seeming likely.

Anyway, I can't wait to update with more pictures of the finished product! A clean, useful, pleasant-to-park-in garage has seemed like a pipe dream for most of the years I've lived in our home, and to finally be this close to the reality of it is something to celebrate, for sure!

No comments: